Posted by: evedlewis | May 28, 2016

Mr. and Mrs. Kim ❤️❤️❤️ May 2016 💗










Whelp — we did it. We went and got married. 🙂 I am officially Mrs. Eve Kim now. 🙂 ❤️❤️❤️

I met my now husband in January 2015 in Seoul. We dated for over a year there, moved to Jeonju together in March 2016 and then got married on May 12, 2016.

I decided to write a post for those who may be dating a Korean and interested in the marriage process while living in South Korea.

If you are an American planning to marry your Korean partner, here are the steps you will need to take together in order to make it official:

1. You (the American) need to make an online appointment to schedule your meeting with the US Embassy in Seoul (choose “other notarial and other services not listed above” — there is no option for a “marriage appointment”).

2. You and your partner need to go to the US Embassy office together on the day of your appointment. Make sure you arrive 15 minutes early and take a number once you get inside the building on the first floor. (You must turn over your bags and cell phones to the security officers once you enter the building).

3. You (the American) will pay a small fee (50k won) and meet with an Embassy Officer to sign a Marriage Affidavit. (If you have been divorced, you may need to show certified copies of your divorce papers to the Embassy Officer). The meeting should only take a few minutes, and it’s simply to confirm that you (the American) are single and legally able to get married. (Check the website for current fees and more detailed information)

4. After meeting with the Embassy Officer and completing the Marriage affidavit, you will take this stamped document to the Korean “Marriage Office” at the Jongro District Office — which is within a short walking distance from the US Embassy office. (Ask the Embassy officer for a map)

5. Your Korean partner will now need to complete the “korean side” of the paperwork at the Jongro District Office. Take a number in the main lobby and wait for assistance. Your partner will need to complete a document in Korean in order to file for your Marriage Certificate.

6. You may be asked by the staff to get the English Marriage Affidavit translated into Korean. If so, simply walk across the street and get that done at the office that provides document translation services. This will cost about 30k won.

7. Once you have the translated Marriage Affidavit and the Korean paperwork completed, you can submit both documents to the front desk staff at the Jongro District Office. They will enter all your information into their computer system, and — you are almost married!!! 🙂 One last step……

8. The last step is to pick up your final marriage certificate, which will be ready within one week after submitting all your paperwork. You should get a text message from the Jongro District Office once your certificate is ready. You need to return to the same office to pick it up. Once you pick up your marriage certificate, you will have to take it over to one more nearby office (in another building) to finalize the process and get everything notarized (your Korean partner should take care of this last step if you don’t speak Korean). 

That’s it!!! Congrats!!! You are legally married now!!! 🙂 🙂 ❤️❤️❤️👌👌👌

This article may also be helpful:

Extra Tips:

1) You can update your passport book while you are there at the US Embassy Office. I paid $125 to renew my passport book and to order a passport card. You can choose to have your renewed passport mailed to you within two weeks, or you can return to the same office to pick it up when you are ready after two weeks have passed. There is a photo booth there in the office, which makes it easy to take new passport photos if you don’t have any on hand. You will need to make a payment and submit a passport renewal application along with one new passport photo. I requested to keep my current passport book while my new one was being processed, which was allowed. I was also able to keep my old passport book as a keepsake by allowing the clerk to stamp holes through it. The holes make the passport invalid for use, so just ask for the clerk to punch holes in your old passport if you want to keep it. If you are interested in renewing your passport at another time, you must make a separate appointment for that service through the US Embassy website.

2) You can take FREE photos in traditional Hanbok wedding attire after you submit your marriage paperwork at the Jongro District Office. They offer this service to newly married couples on Tuesdays and Thursdays only. The front desk staff will snap a few shots for you on your camera phone (if you ask), and it’s a nice way to remember the day you got married — if you are into that kind of stuff. 🙂 🙂

Magnificent photos by:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: